Friday, September 15, 2006

Hard on my heart

My work schedule for the past three months has had me going to in from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. When we did this schedule during Jan-Mar, I did not mind because Liam was not as active as he is now and leaving for work was not that big of a deal. Now that he is bigger, more interactive, and full of personality it makes going to work a very hard thing to do. On any given day I have to stop playing with him or holding him or just watching him to go to a place that is not nearly as fun to do a job that is not nearly as interesting. Today he made it extra tough on me. Apparently he has learned that when I put on my uniform it means that I am going to leave. After I gave him his usual good bye hug and kiss he cried and held on to me tightly when I tried to put him down. I hugged him tightly again and gave him to Katie. Leaving for work after that was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Sometimes being a Dad is hard.

2 comments:

Erin and Jake said...

It is indeed. You definitely have my sympathy. Just wait until they can talk a little. When Erin and the girls dropped me at the airport last time to come back up here, Madelyn recognized where we were and let out a "Nooooooooo!" She then made that I'm-trying-really-hard-not-to-cry face. Unforunately, they never tell you how much kids make us hostages to our happiness.

Anonymous said...

Being a parent is tough. Thank you for being a responsible one, who does the tough things when they are necessary. God bless you and keep you strong. And thank you for sharing Liam's life with us.